Phoenix Trademark Lawyers Protect Your Commercial Rights
Firm offers trustworthy advice and strong advocacy to build and defend brands
In today’s marketplace, many businesses don’t simply compete with rivals in the neighborhood, the state or the wider region. The internet ensures that some companies face widespread competition. That’s why, now more than ever, businesses need to distinguish themselves through strong branding. Part of this process is the development and protection of intellectual property assets, such as trademarks and service marks. At Law Offices of Donald W. Hudspeth P.C. in Phoenix, we provide cogent, practical advice for establishing trademarks in the United States and internationally. We also deliver effective legal representation whenever a competitor infringes on our clients’ trademark.
What is a trademark?
A trademark is a distinctive word, phrase, design or combination of such elements that identifies the source of a product. For example, twin golden arches on red packaging indicate a food or drink item from a McDonald’s restaurant. No one else can use that design for their hamburgers, fries or milkshakes, because to do so would cause confusion in the marketplace, fooling consumers who wanted the genuine article and wrongly siphoning off trade that belongs to the established brand. When the business provides services instead of products, the symbol is called a service mark.
A distinctive, established trademark is a vitally important intellectual property asset, like a copyright or a trade secret.
Why are trademarks important?
Trademarks matter because they help customers identify your line of products. They also allow you to defend the market goodwill that your business has built. For example, if a competitor tries to lure in some of your customers with a look-alike mark, you can sue to prohibit use of that mark. A recognizable trademark also allows you to grow your business through expansion into other markets and licensing of your mark for other company’s products.
Why you should hire a trademark attorney
To maximize the value of your trademark, you might need assistance from a trademark attorney. We can assist you with a number of essential services:
- Trademark search — Before you commit to a particular mark, we can conduct a search for similar marks already being used. A trademark search protects you from losses when you’ve built a brand around a mark that’s going to be rejected because it’s too similar to someone else’s established mark.
- Trademark registration — A mark that’s been used in commerce already enjoys limited protection, but the greatest protection comes from registering the mark on the state and national level. We prepare registration filings and take you through the entire process.
- Trademark defense — If someone is using a similar mark to yours, we can negotiate and litigate to protect your rights.
- Trademark licensing — Once a mark is established, it has value in the marketplace. This allows companies to capitalize on it by licensing their mark to other companies whose products fit within their line.
- International trademark registration — Trademark rights are geographical, and each region has its own protocols for registration. If you want to do business abroad, we can help you get the protection you need within that region.
There’s more to developing a trademark than simply hiring a graphic designer. To get the broad range of legal protections that allow you to grow your brand with confidence, you need reliable legal advice from an experienced trademark attorney.
Contact our Phoenix law firm for advice on registering and defending trademarks
Law Offices of Donald W. Hudspeth P.C. in Phoenix takes an assertive, practical approach to establishing and defending trademark rights. To schedule a consultation with a knowledgeable trademark attorney, call our office today at 866-696-2033 or contact us online. Located in midtown Phoenix, our office is easily accessed by light rail or car, with plenty of available parking.